CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Base Ten Bots


Too Cute!
 I feel like such a slacker. Last week was crazy. We had our GAPSS accreditation review at my school last Tuesday and we were all stressed out. Everything went fine and looking back at it; I don't even know why I was stressed out about it. I finally had the time to finish up a math performance task today that my class did a while back. It is a place value performance task, looking at numbers in the thousands, hundreds, tens, and ones place. The kids got to create their own Base Ten Bots out of cubes, flats, rods, and units. After they made their bot, they had to answer questions related to the number it took to build the robot. They had to put the number in a place value chart, be able to write the number in standard, expanded, and word form. They had to find what the number would be with 10, 100, 1,000 more and 10, 100, 1,000 less.  They also had to round the number to the nearest 10, 100, and 1,000 and more. My kids had a blast making the Base Ten Bots and I really got a chance to assess their number sense knowledge. You can check out the task by clicking on the picture. I hope your class enjoys this activity as much as mine did!

2 comments:

  1. I just nominated your blog for the “Liebster Award.” Go to http://thebestofteacherspayteachers.blogspot.com/2012/01/liebster-award.html to find out more about this award.

    Wishing you the best,
    Vicky
    “The Best of Teachers Pay Teachers”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!

    I am happy to be y'alls newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete