CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 14, 2011

Dry Erase Desks?

 I thought I would take the time to share one of my favorite secrets with everyone. I use dry erase boards a lot during math and sometimes I just don't have the time to drag out my student white boards, markers, and erasers. To help with this problem I often let my students use their desks as their dry erase boards. Yes I said desks. My kids LOVE the fact they get the write on their desks. On a side note, I always go over the rules; we are only allowed to draw on our desks when we have permission and only with dry eraser markers. This secret really works. I promise. I have even taken it a step further and have drawn on my teacher table during small groups. It works just the same. I have found over the years of doing this that newer markers work best and some colors are better than others when it comes to leaving residue. The student's desks allow the students to have a larger working area. It works great when we are working with manipulatives. If any residue is left after erasing, a good Clorox Wipe (or any wet wipe) will take it right off. Here are a few pictures to show you what I am talking about. I hope everyone enjoys this tip. Happy Blogging!

BTW: I do know the ones place says 9 and there are only 2 units. My student hadn't finished placing her units when I took this picture. :)


2. A little residue was left after erasing.

1. Using our desks to work on making numbers



3. Good as new after using a wet wipe!


18 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I am giving you the Liebester Award! Hop on over and check out the details!
    www.mstremlsteachingblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do this too! Although it is a bit messy, the kids absolutely love it and a wet wipe gets rid of the remaining marker.

    I also dropped by to present you with the Liebster Award for up and coming blogs.

    Head on over to my blog to get the details!

    Happy Holidays and Happy Blogging!

    Patti White

    aseriesof3rdgradeevents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi:) I tagged you in my latest blog post, and I can't wait to learn more about you!

    http://toad-allyexceptionallearners.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Heather and I work for Worth Ave. Group. We’re currently holding a contest for K-12 teachers. Over $150,000 in grant money and prizes will be given away in the Technology in Education Grant. Get the teachers you know involved in this great giveaway by voting for them and you'll give them a chance to win an iPad 2, 30 iPod touches for their classroom and a $25,000 technology grant for their school. Voting has just begun and end will end March 31st. Visit www.voteforteachers.com today or call 1-855-834-7660 for more information.
    voteforteachers@worthavegroup.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I love your blog! Lots of great ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If only my desks were not dark brown....having light colored desk envy! Just found and followed your blog.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I just nominated you for the Liebster Award on my blog... and then when I started to comment here, I see that you've already been nominated twice! My oops - I didn't see the award on your blog. Just enjoy a little bit of extra publicity and don't worry about the follow-up resposibilities on this one! :) If you'd like, head over to my blog to see your nomination.
    Linda
    http://primaryinspiration.blogspot.com/2012/02/for-me-liebsters.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are invited to a linky party! When you think about your first year of teaching or when you switched grade levels, what do you wish you would have known before you began? Hop over to my blog and share your teaching tips!

    Michelle
    Teach123

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. This idea will save so much time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Wow...who knew? Will be trying this out! THANK you so much for sharing. New to blogging...Please feel free to drop by, grab some freebies, and/or check out my New Blog Celebration GIVEAWAYS! I'm your newest follower! Michelle
      http://nomonkeybusinessmichelle.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  12. Wow, cool idea! So glad to have found your blog! I'm new to the blogging world... would love for you to stop by...

    http://toristeachingtips.blogspot.com/

    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! I've given you the One Lovely Blog award. Stop by my blog to check out all the details.
    www.talesfromaverybusyteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for an educational blog!
    I am passing along the "One Lovely Blog Award" to you. It is a great way to connect with other educational blogs and get the word out about yours. Check it out at:
    http://theteachersworkroom.blogspot.com/
    I added the link to your blog to one of my posts to share with my readers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just love this idea and your blog. I have passed along a Blogging award to you.
    Blog Award-Thank You!

    Thanks for sharing your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! I wanted to let you know that I just love your blog and have nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check it out HERE!

    Bri
    The Price of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome tip! Thanks!

    I found your blog on your nomination for the Liebster Award -- congrats :)

    I am happy to say I am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete